Skin allergies can be more than just a nuisance, as they can result in all sorts of complications, including rashes, bumps, irritation, itchiness, and sores. If you’ve been struggling with skin allergies, see a doctor at Allergy Care, PLLC in Watertown and Utica, NY for help. There may be a simple treatment or lifestyle change that can give you much-needed relief!
Possible Causes of Skin Allergies
Though some patients have problems with skin allergies from childhood, other cases involve the onset of allergies beginning later in life, and for no clear reason. These are some of the possible causes of allergic reactions that show up on the skin:
- Allergies to certain types of food ingredients, such as gluten.
- Exposure to chemical irritants, including cleaning solutions and laundry detergents.
- Washing up with shampoos or soaps that contain irritating ingredients.
- A latex allergy.
- Exposure to sunlight after applying certain lotions or sunscreen to the skin.
How a Doctor Can Help
Skin allergies are difficult to treat because there isn’t always a clear-cut cause or source, but there are treatments that your doctor can try to alleviate your symptoms. These are a few ways that a skin doctor from either our Watertown or Utica office can help:
- Immunotherapy to develop a resistance to allergic reactions.
- Skin prick or blood testing to identify triggering allergens.
- Antihistamine medication to calm allergic irritations.
- Advice and education about allergy avoidance and prevention.
Allergy Care Tips
One of the best ways to deal with a skin allergy is to take every precaution to avoid the allergens in your environment. Therefore, having an allergy test to identify the potential allergen is an important initial step. Here are a few additional tips:
- Look for hypoallergenic products when you’re shopping for cleaners and detergents.
- Be aware of the possible dyes and chemicals in clothes, washcloths, linens, and other items that may come in contact with the skin on a regular basis.
- Take cool showers to ease the pain of rashes.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe you a hydrocortisone or allergy cream.
Protect Your Skin
Keeping your skin healthy is a top concern because it’s one of the first things people see when you meet. Get treatment for your skin allergies by contacting Allergy Care, PLLC in Watertown or Utica, NY at (315) 782-6200 or (315) 624-7911, respectively. Dr. Ludwig Khoury is a certified allergist who understands these conditions and can provide you with valuable guidance!