How your asthma specialist in Utica and Watertown, NY can help.
Does your child have trouble breathing? If so, it can be pretty scary. You may think it’s just seasonal allergies, but it could be a sign of asthma. Your asthma specialist can help your child breathe easier and feel better. Dr. Ludwig Khoury at Allergy Care offers a wide range of asthma and allergy services. He has two convenient office locations in Utica, and Watertown, New York.
Asthma symptoms in children are more pronounced than in adults, because children’s airways are smaller. The asthma symptoms can flare up when your child is exposed to allergy triggers like pet dander, grass and flower pollens, dust mites, mold spores, and other substances. There are several signs and symptoms of childhood asthma for you to pay attention to, including:
- Wheezing and severe coughing
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness and squeezing feeling in the chest
- Frequently recurring bronchitis
If you have a small infant, asthma symptoms may be more difficult to notice. You should pay attention to:
- Your infant feeding more slowly
- Your infant having trouble breathing while feeding
If your child is a toddler, you may notice:
- Your toddler tiring more quickly
- Your toddler coughing while doing activities
Asthma can be life-threatening, so you should seek out emergency care if your child is:
- Unable to breathe or gasping for air
- Unable to speak due to breathing difficulties
Your asthma specialist may recommend testing how well your child’s lungs are functioning by using spirometry, peak flow measurement, and nitric oxide testing. Once testing is completed, your asthma specialist can recommend appropriate asthma treatment, which may include:
- Rescue inhalers for short-term relief
- Asthma medications for long term relief
- Allergy testing and allergy treatment
- Modification of your child’s environment to eliminate allergy triggers
Childhood asthma symptoms can be scary, but help is just a phone call away. To find out more about asthma causes, symptoms, and treatment, call Dr. Ludwig Khoury of Allergy Care in Utica, New York at (315) 624-7911, or in Watertown, New York at (315) 782-6200. Call today.